Emily Sutter - Advocate Christ Medical Center (MHA '27)

Hello Hello!

My name is Emily Sutter, and I have spent the past 9 weeks living in Chicago, IL. I am the Administrative and Operations intern at Advocate Christ Medical Center (CMC), which is one of the Illinois Flagship hospitals, and my preceptor is Cameron Lewis (Chief Operating Officer). As I am writing this blog, I am just about to start my final week here. Time flies and I am having the best time!

My first couple days of my internship were quite unique, I attended our Illinois Leadership Advance where I heard from some amazing leaders like Eugene Woods, CEO of Advocate Health and Kevin Warren, President and CEO of the Chicago Bears. This experience energized me, and I felt so grateful to be learning from a team committed to shaping the future of health care. On my second day I attended the groundbreaking event of the new Trinity Hospital on the south side of Chicago that is part of our 1-billion-dollar investment in Chicago’s south side. 

I have been involved in multiple projects throughout the organization and CMC. Some that are most notable are the operating room turnover project. I have spent multiple days observing our turnovers in the OR. By observing, I was able to find ways to streamline our turnover process and expect these to decrease OR turnover time. I was also able to create education for our OR staff nurses on how to accurately schedule the operating rooms and block times. Another project I am involved in is our new operational excellence groups that help to focus on patient experience, discharge readiness, teammate experience, and readmissions. One of the groups is getting ready to implement several initiatives to increase communication with patients in the emergency room as ours keeps very busy and sees over 250 patients a day!

Outside of the internship, I have been keeping my weekends very busy. My family and I spent a night going to the University of Iowa night at the Chicago Cubs game and I had to enjoy a Chiago Style Hotdog! I have spent weekends up north in Wisconsin with my family as well! Lastly, I love live music so I highly enjoyed attending Chicago's largest music festival, Lollapalooza! 

Can’t wait to get back to Iowa City to catch everyone up even more!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madison Anderson- CGH Medical Center (MHA '26)

Summer Internship: The Emory Clinic

Jashan Gill (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Ambulatory Care Operations