Summer Internships: Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center

By Katie Westfall

I am spending my summer as a graduate intern at Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Avera McKennan is a mission driven, 545-bed tertiary care hospital under the Avera Health umbrella. McKennan has 13 rural affiliates and numerous clinics, primarily in eastern South Dakota, southwest Minnesota, and northwest Iowa. I spend most of my time working with Network Operations interacting with many of the rural hospitals and clinics!  I have also had exposure to long-term care, hospice, and home medical equipment, learning about many of the problems that face those segments of healthcare in this ever changing environment.

This season is that of growth for Avera, and capital projects are taking up much of my time.  One of many projects I am working on is the collecting and assembling the many CMS requirements for relocation of a critical access hospital.  My main project is analyzing the change in productivity for physicians after EMR implementation and hopefully the return in value to the system.  I am pulling many community resources to create a central source of information on choosing the best fitting nursing home specifically for those patients who are entering from an acute event.  I am also spending some of my time in the hospice house which, in combination with the home health program, will be moving out as a separate 501(3)(C) under the Avera Health umbrella. Additionally, I will be writing a business plan for a new addiction treatment center in the former nursing home building.

Amidst my projects I have had an opportunity to interact with senior leadership at McKennan and throughout the network. I have attended numerous board meetings and medical staff meetings in the rural communities and have sat in on McKennan’s Administrative Council meetings. I have also participated in strategic planning sessions for the new nursing home and hospitals.

 
McKennan is a mission driven organization and it has been wonderful to see how that is reflected in many of the decisions that are made every day. Everyone has been extremely welcoming; I am enjoying my internship experience-and look forward to seeing what else this summer will bring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group