Summer Internships: UI Children's Hospital

By Erin Moen

Hi, all! This summer I am in Iowa City working at the UI Children’s Hospital under the direction of Scott Turner, Director of UI Children’s and Co-COO of UIHC. UI Children’s Hospital is Iowa’s only comprehensive children’s hospital, offers over 40 pediatric specialties, and employs over 640 pediatric physicians, surgeons, and nurses. This summer is a very exciting time to be here at UI Children’s as the construction of the new children’s hospital facility is currently underway and expected to be completed in 2016. As the single largest capital project on the University of Iowa Campus in the history of the University, the $292 Million UI Children’s Hospital project will definitely keep me busy this summer!      

My internship scope incorporates three large projects that encompass both pediatrics and overall academic hospital operations.  Currently I am working on a campus-wide operations and capital project. With the help of a small team, I will be conducting assessments of all patient contact areas in every unit and clinic within UIHC and evaluating every component of the area, from the flooring and paint color to the ceiling and lighting fixtures. The evaluations will allow my team and I to determine what renovations or upgrades are necessary to ultimately create a streamlined and uniform appearance between every clinic and unit.  Needless to say, I it won’t be long before I know UIHC like the back of my hand! Other projects for my summer include:

  • The planning and design of a new OB suite,
  • The planning and development of the new UI Children’s Hospital,
  • Pediatric and OB/GYN market analysis,
  • Performing weekly shadowing rounds with various departments every Friday morning.  
My first summer in the Midwest is a busy one, but I still make time for some fun (despite the flooding and incessant humidity!). The majority of my weekends are consumed with traveling to St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Chicago to visit family, as well as quality time spent boating at the lake. Other than that, I have enjoyed golfing, running, reading, and catching as many rays as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group