Hailey Strudhoff (MHA '24): New Ulm Medical Center


Hello from New Ulm, Minnesota! This summer I am the administrative intern at New Ulm Medical Center (NUMC). NUMC is a critical access hospital with a primary service area of about 50,000. I did not know what I was getting into when I decided to come to New Ulm, but it has been exciting! A small town of 14,000, New Ulm has more than meets the eye, with parks and entertainment all over town, I am never bored. This small town boasts a strong German heritage and much of this history can be seen throughout NUMC and the town. New Ulm Medical Center is part of a larger system called Allina Health and is one of 9 regional hospitals in the system. Currently, the system is in financial trouble which has made my time here fast-paced and challenging.  

With the troubling financial situation, a lot of my projects have been focused on finances and cutting costs. Through this, I have been able to apply a lot of my classroom work to the real world. My main project this summer is to create an EMT training course for the local high school. This has been a fun learning experience and has given me new connections and opportunities throughout the medical center, community, and the system. I have also worked on multiple smaller projects including marketing and operations. Overall, the projects have been engaging and challenging.
I am learning and growing personally and professionally, and I contribute that to my preceptor Toby Frier (President/CEO). He is constantly challenging me and making me see things differently. I not only have mentorship from him but from the entire senior leadership team. I have access to all directors daily and have been able to shadow and learn from each of them. It is crazy how fast this summer is going by, and I cannot wait for the second half of my internship! 

In my free time, I have spent a lot of time with my family back in my hometown and with my husband and friends in Iowa City. It is challenging being away from home, but the opportunity to learn from this team has been worth it. During the week when I am not working, I have been enjoying and exploring all New Ulm has to offer as well as getting outside to walk and play golf!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group