Michael Zolfaghari (MHA '24): University of Iowa Physicians - Community Clinics and Health Ventures

Greetings from Iowa City! 

This summer, I have been enjoying my time with the University of Iowa Physicians (UIP) under the direct mentorship of Rachel Kirchner and Auriel Luna. Rachel is the Director of UI Community Clinics (UICC) and Interim Director of UI Health Ventures (UIHV), she is responsible for leading UICC and Outreach strategies and initiatives.

http://
Auriel is the Administrative Fellow for UIP. Rachel is an alum of the MHA program and Auriel is an alum of the EMHA program at the University of Iowa.

I joined UICC on June 5th. Although I have only been part of the community for a brief period of time, I have been able to immerse myself in the UICC culture and jump in on several key projects. My main project has been creating a peer chart review system for the Department of Family Medicine. This involved meeting with several doctors from the Family Medicine department, creating a randomized review list and survey, completing epic training, and the use of several Excel skills, taught in Dr. Shane’s class, to analyze the quality of the doctors' and departments' performance. I have also been busy working with Chris McAndrew on several financial data packets for the various clinics across UIHC.  


http://Along with my project work, I have been able to attend a variety of seminars and rounding series hosted by UIHC. I have also been able to take part in the annual space survey for UIHC. This involved visiting twelve departments (on-campus and off-site) to evaluate space utilization and discuss any new changes or reallocations of space. These seminars, rounding series, and space surveys have allowed me to experience many new and various parts of the University of Iowa Healthcare system. 

Outside of the internship, I have been able to keep myself entertained. I have been playing a

a great amount of golf and being able to BBQ and cook out with my friends. Finally, I have also been watching plenty of baseball and basketball with my friends. These experiences have not only kept me busy but allowed me to become greater friends with some of my cohort. Time has flown by so far and I cannot wait for the rest of the summer. It truly has been a multifaceted experience that is difficult to put into words, but I am fascinated by all that I have learned so far. I cannot wait to see what UICC has in store for the rest of the summer and fall.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group