Hariram Saravanan (MHA '24): Rush Copley Medical Center

Hello, my name is Hariram Saravanan, and I am an MHA student at the University of Iowa. This summer, I Interned at Rush Copley Medical Center in Aurora, Illinois. Rush Copley has a work culture similar to Iowa’s and some notable Alumni from UIowa’s Program. John Diedrich, the CEO of Rush Copley, and Dave Petasnick, my preceptors, are alumni. 

 

Dave has been an excellent preceptor and mentor in my professional journey. He, along with members of the administrative team, has been accommodating while I navigate my plans. Dave also believes in a good work-life balance and allows me to take time off when needed. I had some issues come up with housing, and he was very understanding and supportive when he encouraged me to take time off to figure it out. He lets me independently learn and seek opportunities I am genuinely interested in while giving me advice. 


My biggest project is optimizing the screening colonoscopy process to reduce backlogs within the scheduling. I have utilized many tools I was introduced to in my first semester. Tools like Gantt Charts, Process Maps, and a ton of Excel. I am also looking at reducing policy redundancies and inspecting federal and state signage requirements in the hospital. Another project I am working on is implementing a better financial checklist for the gym equipment at the Healthplex – a free gym with various classes that employees can utilize. Later in the summer, I will work with one of the VPs to create a fellowship opportunity at Rush Copley. 

 

During the summer, I participated in the Pride Parade, a Rush Copley Gala, and a golf outing at Rich Harvest Festival. I was able to take a lot of photos at these events and explore my passion for photography. The culture at Rush feels more familial, and that is reflected in all of these engagement events. I also got to ride along with the EMS in Aurora, where I got to see actual cases and ride in an ambulance!

 

Outside of work, I have been able to hang out with friends. I went back to Iowa City several times to the Block Party. I also have been able to go camping and hiking. Later in the summer, I have some music festivals that I look forward to. I plan to spend some time in Chicago to see the sights and watch Weston Estate. At the end of the summer, I also plan to attend Lollapalooza. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group