Roderick Pierce II (MHA '24): University of Iowa Physicians - Financial and Accounting Services

 Greetings from Iowa City! 

 

This summer I am interning at the University of Iowa Healthcare in Finance & Accounting Services. In the short amount of time as an intern, I've been exposed to a lot of leaders within the department and organization. I have truly learned a lot about what I can do to heighten my skills as a future healthcare administrator and leader. 


Beth Jaggers is my preceptor, and she is the Director of Decision Support as well as the instructor for our Finance courses for the MHA program.  The projects that I am working on involve supporting 4 other directors in various roles as well as participating in various teams across the finance department. 



Right from the get-go I got involved in a ton of projects that are not only focused on finance but involve population health as well. From day 1 we split up the projects that the past interns were working on and received new ones from various leaders in the department. Some of the projects
 I have been working on include participating in meetings on population-level analysis in strategy development & decision-making, gathering unclaimed property from numerous vendors, and developing an employee engagement charter. The project that has taken up most of my time is the HCC Coding quality assurance program. The program revolves around risk adjustment methodology, and I have worked on providing support through data analysis on dashboard metrics and BPA trends. This work has let me take ownership as well as provided leadership opportunities to take the lead in meetings.
 


Outside of work, I have spent a lot of time playing basketball with friends. Because we are not originally from the Midwest, my spouse and I have been spending weekends traveling to various Midwestern cities. So far, we knocked off St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago off the list with more to explore. 


 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group