McKenna Raimer (MHA/JD '24): University of Iowa Physicians - Financial and Accounting Services

Hello!

My name is McKenna Raimer and I am a JD/MHA student. This summer I am an administrative intern with Finance & Accounting Services at the University of Iowa Healthcare. It has been a great experience and from day one, I have been welcomed into a warm and supportive team of professionals who have been more than willing to guide me through the ins and outs of healthcare finance. I am incredibly lucky to be mentored and guided by my preceptor, Beth Jaggers (Director of Decision Support), and intern with fellow MHA student, Roderick Pierce II. 

The healthcare industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies, reimbursement models, and patient expectations and this internship has exposed me to the challenges and opportunities that come with these changes. As an accounting and finance intern, I’ve been able to learn how to navigate the unique challenges of this dynamic environment, balancing the need for quality care with fiscal responsibility. Many of the projects I have been working on leverage the skills I have acquired in the MHA program, but also allow me to dive deeper into the compliance and regulatory sphere to meet financial goals. I have readily enjoyed my time supporting the Population Health Management team, navigating challenges associated with the brand-new Medicaid MCO in Iowa (Molina Health Care of Iowa), assisting in Medicaid quality and data reporting, and publishing a monthly department newsletter. 

Summer in Iowa City is my favorite time of year and I have been fortunate to be able to enjoy quality time with my boyfriend (Jade), our four cats (Zion, Ranger, Box, and Amoxicillin), and my friends. Big highlights include seeing Taylor Swift in Chicago, seeing Fall Out Boy in St. Louis, attending a Cedar Rapids Kernels game on July 4th, and watching my garden grow. This summer has been a great taste of what’s to come in a career in healthcare administration and I am looking forward to my last year of education (ever!) and beginning my next big adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group