Summer Internships: Iowa Health System


By Tim Chwirka

This summer I am completing an administrative internship with Iowa Health System’s corporate office.  My preceptor is Kevin Vermeer, the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Strategy Officer, and Executive Vice President of Iowa Health System.

In my previous healthcare experiences, I have worked at small, rural hospitals and had the opportunity to be very involved in day-to-day hospital operations and have been very close to where patient care is being delivered.  From the corporate office, I have experienced a different perspective by getting a bird’s eye view of the healthcare delivery system.  At this level, I have had the chance to experience strategy and see how large initiatives are implemented throughout a healthcare system.  With all of the changes occurring in healthcare, it is a great time to be at this level and witness the strategies being implemented to change the way care has traditionally been delivered.

My projects this summer have mainly revolved around the Accountable Care Organization (ACO) that Iowa Health has developed.  I am assisting with the implementation of population management software, examining the scalability of the ACO infrastructure, and performing a needs assessment for a potential urgent care clinic.

Outside of work, I have had the chance to experience a lot of great events in Des Moines.  I have gone to the Principal Charity Classic, the Des Moines Arts Festival, Zoo Brew, the Des Moines farmers market, and an I-Cubs game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group