Summer Internships: University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics


By Carol Ayangbile

Hi all! My summer has been going very well at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.  I have been working on all things IRL-Iowa River Landing, the new multi-specialty outpatient clinic located in Coralville, IA right off I-80.  Starting the summer, I met Steve and Bonnie, the Administrator and Director of Nursing for IRL.  I’ve been working with Dr. Boutros, Steve, and Bonnie closely to accomplish a lot before the opening date of October 8, 2012.  I call them the dream team! They have given me several projects throughout the summer and allowed me to sit in on and participate in meetings and really gain insight to many operational and non-operational parts of administration. I also got to do a site visit at IRL and have a included pics, one is with the project manager.  

I’m currently working on redesigning the triage process that General Pediatrics and General Internal Medicine will use at IRL, creating a pro forma for a Healthy Living Clinic concept at IRL, assisting in creating and finalizing provider service level agreements for IRL, compiling materials and creating the orientations and training for RNs, MAs, and Clerks at IRL, assisting the VP of Marketing and her team in putting together the Opening Events for IRL, etc.  Some non-IRL projects include participating in senior leadership rounding with Dr. Boutros and Ken Fisher throughout many units in the hospital, recording the notes from the unit, and creating institutional issues tickets and following up with senior leaders responsible for the respective areas.  Also, I enjoyed listening to lectures from the Associate Chief Nursing Officer recruitment lecture series and volunteering at UIHC’s Disney Service Excellence training.

I sit right next to Alison and have really enjoyed that! She even got to shadow Dr. Boutros for two weeks, which was a blast for me and I loved tag-teaming with her.  Additionally, Alison and I have gotten to rotate throughout a few units in the hospital on Friday mornings with lunch in the afternoon with the fellows, former fellows, and Ken Kates (UIHC CEO).  A couple weeks ago Alison and I brought in homemade cheesecake and tiramisu for a competition against the fellows and the whole office loved them! We have yet to be challenged by the fellows……. This past Friday, I got to rotate in the ED where I also got to go on the 9th floor (the roof) and see the helicopter and meet the pilot, flight paramedic, flight nurse, and flight doctors.  It was really cool and awesome!

As for life outside the hospital, Saturday was Jaedyn’s (my daughter) birthday party, she turned 4 on Thursday (7/12).  It was a Princess Tiana (Disney’s Princess and the Frog) theme and she had tons of fun! We tried to dress Zion (her little brother) as Prince Nevin (Tiana’s prince), but couldn’t find a prince costume, so he went as her stud.  Otherwise, I’ve been spending tons of time with my hubby and other family having summer fun!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group