Grace Olsen (MHA '24): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Strategy Implementation

Hi from Iowa City! I am now exploring more of what Iowa City offers this summer. I took a spring semester course about project management and engagement of stakeholders, which is why I wanted to see it come to action. I am positioned with the project managers, and I got introduced to various projects going on within the organization. I have been able to sit in on some discussions this far for specific projects and have been “working” with partnered consultants in them too. The work environment has been relaxed. I work with 6 project managers that are fierce and flexible. I have gotten to “shadow” how they initiate, plan, and act on the many distinct types of projects and overall, their knowledge about healthcare management. What is fascinating is that all, if not the majority, come from diverse backgrounds and can transform success together as a team and with the organization. My preceptor is Heather Kingston who has a fascinating journey in project management and can discuss many career paths. My day-to-day would be my mentor Jill Furgason who is fabulous. So far during the internship, I have experienced roundings that are held in various departments, as well as obtaining a 2-day LEAN training/ education certificate. I am looking forward to seeing where the internship takes me and what more projects I can take on. I am even looking forward to the off-site team experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group