Jenah McCarty (MHA/MPH '24): Intermountain Health

Hello from the beautiful Cache Valley!

I had an amazing summer completing my internship with Intermountain Health at Logan Regional Hospital. Intermountain is a nonprofit health system comprised of 33 hospitals and 385 clinics across 7 states (U UT, NV, ID, CO, MT, ​KS, WY). Logan Regional Hospital (LRH) is a 148-bed Level III trauma center and is recognized as a top 100 hospital. Logan is in the Cache Valley of Northern Utah with a population of around 150,000. My preceptor, Brandon McBride, is the CEO/Administrator of LRH. Brandon has been with Intermountain Health for 15 years, and was recently named as a top leader as part of Becker’s Hospital Review’s ‘Community Hospital CEOs to Know’. 

Throughout the summer I engaged in a well-balanced array of projects providing me with a high-level understanding of hospital operations. I took on several projects including process improvements in the emergency department and with volunteer services. I also completed a qualitative analysis of outpatient comments to inform areas for patient experience improvements. Aside from my own projects, I was also lucky to join several ongoing initiatives. I played a role in implementing a social needs screening tool at LRH and analyzing outcomes. Additionally, I am the liaison for LRH in a market-wide project called Re-Imagining Acute Care, and working on identifying key differences in care coordination processes across the northern region.

Outside of projects, I valued the ability to learn from clinical shadows in the emergency department, inpatient nursing units, wound clinic, care management, and operating room. I also joined in several meetings such as our weekly administrative council at Logan Regional Hospital, step-back reviews with various hospital departments, and numerous hospital board and committee meetings. Logan Regional Hospital also has a strong connection with its community, which also allowed me to help with several community events including an open house showcasing our newest Davinci Surgical Robot and a ribbon-cutting ceremony welcoming Life-Light to Logan. 

Intermountain Health’s robust internship program also gave me an overview of health system operations through various intern cohort events. Our group of around twenty graduate interns toured the nationally recognized supply chain center, life light, classic air base, telehealth/ virtual hospital center, and Intermountain’s longest-standing hospital in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City (pictured on left). We also had sessions on the Intermountain operating model, Castell (Intermountain’s population health subsidiary), as well as a meet and greet with the Canyons Region president Sue Robel. I loved the opportunities to connect with other interns and Intermountain health leaders throughout the system.


Aside from my internship experience, I fully immersed myself in all the fun activities Utah has to offer. Most weekends you could find me outside exploring the stunning topography of Utah with my fellow interns and classmates. I went camping, hiking, kayaking, and paddle boarding, and tried all the amazing restaurants, breweries, and concerts in the area. As a lover of all things outdoors- I could not have asked for a better place to spend my summer! 

Reflecting on my summer internship I am so thankful I got to work alongside exceptional leaders that were truly invested in my personal and professional growth. My experience with Intermountain Health, from the relationships built to the skills gained, left me eager to continue learning and solidified my desire to become a healthcare leader. I will greatly miss all the people at Logan Regional Hospital but can’t wait to reconnect with all my classmates!


 

 

 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group