ASA Conference

Senator Bernie Sanders speaking at Capital Hill Advocacy Day
By Ryan Landi

The American Society on Aging (ASA) holds an annual conference that is focused on aging issues and is more practice based compared to the Gerontological Society of America (GSA) that holds a conference each year as well that is more researched focused. I have attended both, but GSA was in the fall, and ASA was just a week ago and ended on April 1st! ASA was a great experience that was available to me via my Aging Fellowship with the Center on Aging at the University of Iowa. It is an interdisciplinary fellowship that involves graduates students from Medicine, Nursing, Audiology, Education, Social Work, etc. It has been a great experience this year to be part of such a program and highly recommend it to anyone interested in the aging population.


My classmate, Nicole Egan, and I
The ASA conference was held in Washington, D.C. this year, which opened the opportunity for me to attend a policy advocacy day on the "Hill." I attended it with my classmate Nicole Egan, who is also in the fellowship. It was a great way to learn about the bills and laws being debated currently affecting the aging population and meet the Senators that are leaders in aging advocacy. All in all the conference was a great networking opportunity and I was also able to bring back valuable information that I am applying to my MPH Practicum project, which is Community Needs Assessment with a Senior Center in Davenport, IA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group