Haley Sharp, (MHA '25) UnityPoint Health Des Moines

Hello from Des Moines, Iowa! 

This summer, I have an excellent opportunity to work as an Administrative Intern for UnityPoint Health Des Moines. I am grateful to work under two preceptors Thomas Mulrooney, current Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, and Paige Jaeger, Director of Operations and Provider Relations for the Blank Children’s Hospital Women's and Children’s Clinics. They are incredible leaders and administrators who lead their teams and the organization with care and support while doing the same for those they mentor. I am also grateful enough that they are both University of Iowa MHA alumni and love the Hawkeyes just as much as I do! Tom and Paige have completed their internships and fellowships at UnityPoint Health, lead the organization's mission, and serve what the FOCUS values mean. Knowing how much you matter to this world is a promise UnityPoint holds across all healthcare settings. The Des Moines market comprises three nonprofit community hospitals along with various clinics. When you walk in the door of any of these settings, you instantly feel the caring culture of UnityPoint Health, and indeed, everyone is so happy you are here. There is always someone in the hallway to tell you good morning or even just a simple smile, and with that, it truly does feel like one big family here at UnityPoint Health! The outstanding senior leadership teams make themselves visible to all employees and provide unwavering support to ensure everyone has a voice within the organization. Every individual at UPH sees every patient as an individual and gives them outstanding care, which makes a difference in many individuals’ lives. I feel the strong culture and support as an intern within this organization. Everyone in the organization is welcoming, caring, and willing to help you learn and work with every service line. 

Now that I am halfway through my internship, I have had many great opportunities to work on various projects. My work has primarily focused on a business plan for a Nitrous Surgery Room for our Blank Children’s Hospital and Clinics. Working on this project has given me invaluable skills and lessons on how to gather all information needed and work from the bottom up to ensure this service can run efficiently and will also provide the patient with the best care possible. I have also had the opportunity to work within oncology and offer them support with research and analysis on the potential of bringing scalp cooling into our organizations to provide patients going through some of the most challenging times in their lives battling cancer to keep as much of their identity as possible which is their hair. I have also had the opportunity to work on a few other smaller projects, such as marketing and communication for a current parking project within the organization, along with physician contracting and understanding and drafting many physician contracts. 

Alongside these projects, I have also had many unique opportunities to shadow various procedures and departments such as Cath lab procedures, childbirth, pharmacy, transplant procedure, ED, house supervisor, transfer center, and coming up soon, an EMS ride-along! With these learning opportunities at UnityPoint, it comes to show their culture and how willing every person within the organization is to let you learn more within their departments, whether that be a day to shadow, projects, or meetings to sit in on to help you understand and grow as a future healthcare administrator! 

Overall, I have enjoyed my time so far at UnityPoint Health Des Moines, and even though some of the work can be challenging, you will always feel supported and have someone to reach out to answer all your questions. I have grown and learned so much in just half of my internship, and I am very excited for the next half! I am very thankful for this unique opportunity and can’t thank this organization enough for their outstanding support and experience. 

Outside of my time at work, it has been great to be back in my hometown for the summer and spend time with family and friends. There is so much to do here in Des Moines, Iowa, and some of my favorite things I have done so far this summer are going for walks with my dog and family while also getting out and about to a few different country concerts. I also spend much of my time on the weekends at the lake, a pool nearby, or golfing. I have had the best summer and am enjoying my time. 


I look forward to my second year in the University of Iowa MHA program.

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/haley-sharp/ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group

Kayla Rinderknecht (MPH’24): Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region