Alexis Soukup, BrownWinick Law (JD/ MHA '25)

Hello from Des Moines, Iowa!

This summer, I have had the privilege of being a summer associate at BrownWinick Law (“BW”) in downtown DSM. I am one of twelve summer associates in Des Moines. BW has two additional offices in Coralville, IA and Marshalltown, IA. BW specializes in transactional law, but does have a litigation group. We primarily represent businesses rather than individual plaintiffs. There are over 90 attorneys and 120 employees total. BW has been recognized as a Best Law Firm and a Tier 1 DSM law firm in many of our practice areas.


BW is truly one of the best summer experiences I have ever had. Culturally, the law firm stands out from other comparable firms. Our female to male attorney ratio is nearly equal, promoting the diversity and inclusion I strive to feel within my workplace. Additionally, there are numerous social events that have been planned for us this summer. We have had box seats at an ICubs game, many happy hours, the Iowa Craft Brew Festival, the Des Moines Art Festival, Adventureland, and many more. The social and diverse culture has made working at BW such a wonderful experience.

Beyond the fun experiences, I have been intellectually challenged and stimulated with all my projects. I have gotten to work with associates and partners on a wide range of projects and topics, including an antitrust healthcare issue (my favorite project of the summer), litigation projects, discovery, disclosures for an asset purchase agreement, board meetings for clients, intellectual property, formations and conversions of LLCs, and even some international inquiries for our clients.

While I don’t have a traditional preceptor, I do have two mentors, an associate and partner mentor. We often go out to lunch, discuss my projects, and career trajectories. They are very open and willing to discuss any question I have without judgment. In addition, an Iowa JD/MHA alum has begun working this summer as an associate, Sam Cropper. He has been an invaluable resource to me as I continue to navigate my future career and education.


Outside of my summer associate experiences, I frequently return to Iowa City to spend time with my dogs (Luna and Zola), my cat (Pumpkin), and my sister. I have visited Pittsburgh to see my boyfriend at his internship at Oakmont (the golf course hosting the 2025 U.S. Open!). I have done a lot of yoga and relaxation, gotten back into reading, and continued cooking for fun! Next week, I get to volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House with the firm and I look forward to returning to CPH in less than two months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group

Kayla Rinderknecht (MPH’24): Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region