Summer Internship: Patrick Cannon


My name is Patrick Cannon and I am an MHA student. I finished my first year in the program in May 2011 and am interning this summer at MediRevv in Coralville, IA. 

MediRevv is a healthcare revenue cycle management company specializing in helping hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, and physician groups improve cash flow and grow revenue. Chris Klitgaard, an alum of the MHA/MBA dual degree program, started MediRevv about four years ago, after almost ten (10) years in hospital administration at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. In four (4) years, MediRevv has enjoyed tremendous success. Based on 292% growth in revenue over a three (3) year period, the Corridor Business Journal named MediRevv the 2011 top growth company in the Cedar Rapids/Coralville/Iowa City area. 

My experience this summer has been great and has exposed me to aspects of the healthcare industry that no other classmate of mine shares. MediRevv is a vendor, meaning it sells services to hospitals, health systems, and physician groups. That, in and of itself, makes my internship unique. Beyond that, Chris and the rest of MediRevv’s leadership team has filled my summer with interesting and challenging projects, which include, but are not limited to:

·         Having a significant role in a major company rebranding campaign that resulted in a new company name (until July 2011, MediRevv use to be named Precision Revenue Strategies), new website, internal and external company document conversions, and strategically planned internal and external campaign launches, among other things;
·         Helping coordinate on boarding of thirty-five (35) new employees, which nearly doubled MediRevv’s workforce and is the largest on boarding class in MediRevv’s history, by assisting with interviews, new employee orientation, and preparation of training materials;
·         Participating in contract negotiations, one of which is the largest valued contract in MediRevv’s history and primary contributor to the hiring of 35 new employees;
·         Drafting company policies regarding HIPAA privacy, security, and breach notification requirements to bring current with applicable federal laws and regulations

It is an exciting time to be a part of MediRevv. My summer experience has gone so well that Chris invited me back during the school year as a part-time Graduate Assistant. I jumped at the opportunity. I have projects I want to complete and I see opportunity to continue to experience healthcare in a unique environment. MediRevv is also a place I enjoy coming to everyday. The leadership team is young, energetic, and willing to give me freedom to manage projects either I propose or that are delegated to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group