Naudya Chhuon, UIHC Accounting and Financial Services (MHA '25)

This summer, I had the opportunity to be a part of the Finance and Accounting Services team (FAS) at the University of Iowa. My internship allowed me to better understand what it is like to work in finance and accounting, especially within the healthcare industry. From managing a vaccination clinic project to tackling financial models, I got to contribute to some and be a part of some fun projects.


One of the highlights of my internship was being the go-to person for all things related to the HPV vaccination clinic with the Population Health team. This project provides Shoes for patients under 13 years old who obtain their 2nd dose of the HPV vaccine. I found myself at the center of communication between four different teams, which meant I got to lead meetings, and make sure we were all on the same page. Our big event is coming up in the second week of August, and I am proud of how smoothly everything has been running so far. 

Another big part of my summer was getting my hands onto financial modeling and budgeting. I spent some time working on proforma modeling, trying to find the most ideal and cost-efficient solutions for different requests. This was exciting as I put in the request for the proforma and got to see how the process works to model it out for the requester. I also helped with budget models for departments looking to bring in another FTE. 

I also had the chance to take on creating the monthly newsletter for the FAS department. This project was fun and let me be creative while getting to know the team better as I gathered content from various colleagues. I like to keep things fresh by choosing a theme each month; our latest edition featured yellow flowers, which was a hit! I am excited and look forward to crafting future newsletters for the team.

Besides my main projects, I had the chance to observe some other projects within the organization. One of the most interesting was CompassRose, a new system designed to bill for chronic care management. I also sat in on meetings for the upcoming North Liberty Hospital. It was interesting to see how different teams come together to make a new hospital a reality. 

In addition, I got to shadow the revenue cycle manager at the College of Dentistry and see the day-to-day activities of their position. They also let me shadow others within the business suite, and I learned a lot about the revenue cycle front and back end. This opportunity was exciting as I am super interested in this area of finance. 


Outside my internship, I enjoy going to fitness classes (Barre and Pilates) and going to tennis class. I also got to spend lots of time with my friends and family. I grateful for the team to welcome me with open arms and trusting me with the various task and projects. I will continue my work as one of the FAS graduate assistants and cannot wait to obtain and be a part of more projects in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group

Kayla Rinderknecht (MPH’24): Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region