Lissa Alva, UIHC Strategy (MHA '25)

This summer I had the pleasure of doing my administrative internship with the Strategy team at University of Iowa Health Care. The Strategy team works to explore internal and external opportunities to improve health access and quality through University of Iowa Health Care. I worked closely with Bailey Badker, a Strategy Consultant on the team, to expand my knowledge of current projects and explore where I can gain varying exposures and enhance my skills. This internship has given me a greater understanding of the work stream undertaken as new ventures and opportunities are considered for the organization. I was able to learn a great deal about upcoming initiatives, provider relations efforts, and proforma creations and reviews with the Finance team.


My main project this summer revolved around cleanup efforts for our referring provider database and exploring where we can improve the entry process. Through this project I was able to see the impact data inconsistencies can have on a system at various levels. This improvement project is very valuable in improving care coordination, provider relations, and


A highlight of my internship was conducting space surveys of different departments throughout the hospital. The space surveys were directed by Capital Management to review space utilization, make sure all records are updated, and to efficiently maximize spaces. I really enjoyed this project as it allowed me to connect with different units and familiarize myself throughout the hospital. 


A very exciting opportunity I had this summer was observing two of Dr. Brender’s robotic assisted surgeries: an oophorectomy and total hysterectomy with salpingo-oophorectomy. This was a fascinating experience as I was able to observe the da Vinci robot at work which provides greater precision, vision, and control. As an academic medical center, it was intriguing seeing how Dr. Bender involved everyone in the surgery to make it an engaging learning experience for fellows, residents and students. This opportunity also allowed me to observe operating room turnovers and how coordinated the surgical team is to optimize time and efficiency.

Overall, my internship with the Strategy team was an engaging and enriching experience. I am looking forward to continuing my work with them as a Graduate Assistant this upcoming school year. I hope to continue exploring new skills and learning from the varying projects undertaken by the team. 


Outside of work, I had a great summer with memorable trips. I had a college friends' trip to Tennessee, where we explored Nashville and Gatlinburg. I also celebrated the 25th anniversary of Adrienne’s Circle with a trip to Bozeman, Montana with the scholarship recipients and College of Public Health directors. I will be finishing off my summer with a trip to visit my sorority sisters in Colorado. I am excited to see what the next chapter of my professional and personal life has in store for me. 


This internship has equipped me with valuable experiences and skills that I will carry forward in my career and I cannot thank Bailey Badker and the Strategy team enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group

Kayla Rinderknecht (MPH’24): Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region