Speed Networking 2013



Chris Evans, Eric Mooss, and Todd Defreece presenting to students
By Matt Belanger

It was around this time last year when I heard about strong alumni engagement from University of Iowa MHA graduates. It was an important factor in my decision to become a Hawkeye, but I didn’t appreciate this engagement until the speed-networking event on September 19th, when more than twenty alumni traveled back to Iowa City to spend time with the first-year class. Their willingness to give back to the program and help us succeed had a strong impact on many first-year students including myself.

Before the event started, we were fortunate to have excellent guidance via a presentation from Eric Mooss (’04 MHA), Chris Evans (’08 MHA), and Todd Defreece (’10 MHA/MBA). They shared personal stories that illustrated the importance of networking and answered all sorts of questions. They helped set the tone for a very productive evening. 

Once we arrived at Brown Deer Golf Course, the networking began. I had a great time getting to know alumni from all over the country and learning from their experiences in the program and workforce. I received great advice, and really appreciated honest feedback from established professionals.

I believe I can speak on behalf of the entire first-year class when I say that the event was a great success. On a personal level, the speed-networking event served as a solid foundation for the next two years and beyond. I still have a lot to learn, but I am more comfortable contacting alumni and other accomplished professionals. On behalf of my class, I want to thank everyone that helped make this event possible -- especially all of the alumni that contributed. I am excited to be able to contribute in that capacity in a few years. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group