Summer Internship: Geisinger Health System

By: Lauren Wong

View from outside my office of Geisinger Medical Center’s campus

  Hi Everyone! This summer I was fortunate to experience and immerse myself into a highly reputable health care system located in Pennsylvania. Geisinger Health System is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record, and the development and implementation of innovative care models including ProvenHealth Navigator, an advanced medical home model, and ProvenCare program. The Geisinger Health System serves more than 2.6 million residents throughout 44 counties in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. This summer Geisinger also announced two new partnership agreements with both Holy Spirit Health System and AtlantiCare.


This summer I was based out of Geisinger’s main hospital located in Danville, Pennsylvania. My experience at Geisinger Medical Center was invaluable and rewarding, but also broadened my perspective and introduced me new and exciting opportunities. As an administrative intern in the Division of Quality and Safety, my preceptor was the Senior Director of the system’s Patient Experience (PX) team. I was given access to seek out various observation opportunities, travel to other platforms within the system, collaborate with the two Co-Chief Experience Officers, and work on meaningful projects. To top my experience off, I was also able to work closely with and befriend the other Division of Quality and Safety intern from the University of Kentucky’s MHA Program.

This summer I worked on various projects, with my main project being to help co-develop new Geisinger system-wide Patient Experience standards of behaviors, which will be rolled out to the Geisinger Family of 22,000 employees. My second project was to develop the Patient Experience Executive Leader Rounding charter and template tool for Geisinger’s executives, and expand the Patient Safety Round process and tools to include Patient Experience rounding elements for hospital and clinic leaders. Third, I benchmarked other health systems’ transparency of Patient Satisfaction survey scores (HCAHPS & Press Ganey) and presented recommendations to enhance Geisinger’s transparency via its external website. And finally, I established a master database comprised of 75+ cover letters and Press Ganey surveys created for inpatient and outpatient Geisinger services to enable systematic tracking capabilities and enhancements.


Outside of work, I learned about Pennsylvania’s unique culture and history, and was able to travel to different areas of the east coast. During my 11-weeks in Pennsylvania, I traveled to:
Philadelphia, New York City, Gettysburg, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. The Division of Quality and Safety department also invited the other intern and I to a crawfish boil, an Amish dinner, and tested our physical skills by taking us on a whitewater rafting excursion. Overall, my internship experience was more than I could have asked for and I could not be more grateful to have met such phenomenal individuals this summer. As my class begins to wrap up our summer internships, I can’t wait to get back to Iowa City and welcome the incoming class!


Pocono Whitewater Rafting: George Zhang (MHA summer intern); Caroline Pogge (George’s Preceptor, AVP of The Comprehensive Spine Institute); Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group