Summer Internship: NorthShore University HealthSystem

By: Matt Belanger

I feel very fortunate to be an Administrative Intern at NorthShore University HealthSystem. NorthShore is a four hospital health system that lies just north of Chicago, IL. With nearly 1,000 physicians in the NorthShore Medical Group and a strong Research Institute to complement the hospitals, there is no shortage of opportunities. I have a wide range of projects that allow me to travel throughout the system and truly learn about the market firsthand. It is a great time to be here, as NorthShore and Advocate Health Care are currently waiting for the Federal Trade Commission to rule on their merger proposal. Learning about the consolidation process has been invaluable, especially as it becomes more prevalent across the entire healthcare industry.

Sean O’Grady, President at Glenbrook Hospital, is an alumnus of the University of Iowa MHA program. He has done a phenomenal job helping me feel welcome as a new intern. Through nearly four weeks, I have met with leaders across the organization and begun to lead some great projects. NorthShore is a very fast moving organization, and they empower employees to lead change. There are high expectations at every level, and the team-based culture helps promote high performance.
 
My summer experience has been fantastic. NorthShore has invested a lot of time to make my experience valuable, and we are having fun along the way. At a recent hospital picnic, I successfully embarrassed myself by dancing (I use that word loosely) to the “electric slide” in front of 100+ employees. I really enjoy living in Evanston. With Northwestern University in my backyard, there is plenty to do. I’ve enjoyed some fun local restaurants, and I joined the Northwestern fitness center for the summer as a way to stay active and meet new people. I also live a few blocks from the “L” (elevated train), which makes it very easy to get to downtown Chicago. I was able to celebrate the Blackhawks Stanley Cup victory (I am a bit of a bandwagon fan), and I look forward to all of the summer festivals in the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group