Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

By: Taylin Stoner

Greetings from the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. My time as an intern has flown by thus far and it is unimaginable to think that I have only a few short weeks left. With the support of my preceptor, Scott Turner, Co-COO and Executive Director of UI Children's Hospital, I have had opportunities to attend a wide array of meetings, observe various units and departments, and work with highly motivated executives and staff members. One central project that myself as well as three of the other interns are working on is the annual space survey of the roughly 12,800 designated spaces of the hospital.  Being a part of the UIHC team for the summer has also lent me the chance to understand all of the effort and dedication necessary in constructing a new children’s hospital. I am involved in the Transition and Activation Planning (TAP) meetings and have a role in assisting with the beginning stages of care coordination process development. Visio is becoming my best friend in process flow diagramming, with projects concerning donation processes, visitor policies, and engineering services work orders.

Childrens Gift Banner

Beyond projects, I have immersed myself in a variety of observations, including spending the day in the Admission Transfer Center, seeing the Emergency Department up close and personal on a Monday evening, and bundling up in layers of PPE to view an autopsy. Friday mornings are a weekly treat, observing various aspects of the hospital's clinical and non-clinical operations. From the composting method found in the kitchen basement to the robots and carousels located in the central pharmacy high in Boyd Tower, there is always another aspect of the hospital to discover.

Prior to the start of the internship, I traveled to Indiana to complete a Spartan Sprint with my sister as well as visited my friend in Texas. Back in Iowa City, I have thoroughly enjoyed the slow-paced nature of the summertime atmosphere. I spend much of my free time on the weekdays at the gym and reading. On the weekends, I enjoy visiting my parents to see their ten month old German Shepherd puppy as well as going to the farmers market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group