Summer Internship: Beaumont Health

By: Mitch Cote

Hello from Motor City! I’m spending the summer in Royal Oak, a Detroit suburb, interning at Beaumont Health. A Michigan native, I feel blessed to be back in my home state for the summer. I have enjoyed exploring Detroit and spending time “up north” with family and friends; Northern Michigan is truly beautiful in the summer.

In September of 2014, Beaumont Health System, Botsford Health Care, and Oakwood Healthcare reached an affiliation agreement to form a new health system called Beaumont Health. In March, President and CEO, John Fox, began his tenure at Beaumont Health. It has been incredible witnessing first-hand as this new entity evolves.

My preceptor is fellow Central Michigan University alumna Laura Glenn, Senior Vice President of Beaumont Health Physician Partners. Since the affiliation, Laura has been leading the integration of the three medical groups from each legacy system - no small task. Being exposed to these integration efforts is a truly invaluable learning experience.

Many leaders throughout the organization have expressed interest in mentoring me this summer. As such, I have been tasked with a very diverse portfolio of projects. My primary projects stem from medical scribe usage, Clinical Decision Support (CDS), opening a retail clinic, chargemaster standardization, and inpatient charge capture. In addition, I recently presented a summary of new legislation to Beaumont Medical Group’s leadership team. Seeing fellow Hawkeyes around campus has been a nice complement to my incredible summer experience; Iowa HMP alumni Shane Cerone and Megan Hutton have been very accessible and welcoming.

Let me leave no doubt that I am relishing my time in Michigan. I am, however, excited to return to Iowa City and root for the Hawks at Kinnick come fall. In the mean time, you may find me at Comerica Park cheering on the Tigers or at Lafayette Coney Island consuming far too many Coney Dogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group