Summer Internship: Physicians' Clinic of Iowa


By: Dan Carpintero (MHA '19) 
Hello from Cedar Rapids!
I have been at my internship for 6 weeks, and whoa how time is flying by! I am an intern with Physicians’ Clinic of Iowa here in Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids is known as The City of 5 Seasons, and we are currently experiencing hot. CR was also recently (2018) ranked in ‘the top 15 cities to relocate to’. Since I recently moved to Cedar Rapids in my personal life, the internship has allowed me to explore the city, get to know my neighborhood, and provided an opportunity to meet new friends. 
The Physicians' Clinic of Iowa, located in Cedar Rapids, was founded in 1997 and is one of Eastern Iowa’s largest specialty care groups. PCI is home to over 80 physicians, surgeons, and mid-level providers. One of the many great things about PCI is its location; it is settled between UnityPoint Health- St. Luke’s Hospital, Mercy Hospital of Cedar Rapids, and the Surgery Center of Cedar Rapids. The location allows PCI’s patients a choice of where they would like their surgeries performed. 
Here at the Physicians’ Clinic of Iowa I am an intern under Eric Dalton, the CFO. Though Eric is my official preceptor I have been working on many projects with the COO and CIO, most recently I helped with a project directly for the CEO Mike Sundall. I’ve worked on so many things already here at PCI and I am enjoying every day. PCI is currently undergoing an EMR conversion from Intergy to eClinical Works, and because of the timing I have been fortunate enough to be well involved with the implementation and build phases of this conversion. 
I believed when looking for an internship that access to senior management staff was something I was looking for, and here at PCI I have found that. I have been able to attend Senior Management meetings, Management meetings, Finance committee meetings, Operations meetings, Budget meetings, data migration calls, and new building design meetings. I will have the chance to attend my first board meeting this coming week as well. I have conducted a Workflow Analysis, an ongoing ancillary capture project, a zip code analysis and heat map. I am currently helping to build templates for the new EMR system. I feel like I have done so much over the last 6 weeks, and I know my time at PCI will be valuable to my future career opportunities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group