Arika Allen (MHA '22): UNC Health - Strategic Planning

Hello from North Carolina! 

I am currently in Chapel Hill, NC working with the strategic planning department at UNC Health. I can’t believe it, but I am halfway through my internship. This summer has flown by, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. My summer looks a little different from most internships as I have been mostly virtual while getting to be in-person once a week to hear different leaders speak and to tour the UNC facilities. Due to COVID, there were observations of who needs to be at the hospital vs. who can still stay home and continue to work. My department has been innovative in working from home and has actually increased their work production by working from home. Strategic Planning is mainly all big picture and where the hospital should be in the future. 


This summer, I wanted to gain a better understanding of the big picture processes and the numbers that affect what hospitals do and the direction that they go (shout-out to Dan Shane for all the analytics skills). That being said, I will not get to see any of my projects come to fruition in the short term, but knowing that I was a part of the process for the direction and growth of UNC is a different perspective I have never had. We have toured most of the UNC facilities, but most recently, we got to visit the construction site of the new bed tower being built. It was very interesting to hear about the process that goes into getting a new building, and it was cool to see the connections to projects I am currently part of and projects that came before me. 

 



I have also gotten to present in front of the hospital leaders and volunteer at the new food pantry being implemented at the hospital. Being virtual has its perks, and I am grateful for the opportunity to travel and see all that Chapel Hill has to offer and other places in North Carolina and surrounding states. My fiancé and I have gone to numerous festivals, with the most recent being Juneteenth & the Durag Fest (see pics other individuals took below). We have gone on hikes in the mountains and caves. We are also always trying new vegan spots and restaurants. Overall it has been a great learning opportunity and experience. I am grateful for the opportunity to explore and experience life outside of my comfort zone.

 


*A Note From The Editor* 

If you would like to keep up with Arika, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group