Emaan Ahmad (MHA '22): University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) - Clinical Care Operations

 Hello from Iowa City! 


Although I have only been at UIHC for a month, I have seen many parts of healthcare that have piqued my interest. As soon as I started, I was invited to observe a task force to improve the security of the ER. Since an incident prompted this task force, the team met every day for two weeks to develop a proposal for long-term changes, needs, and expectations presented to the CEO. Since I did not know how the ED looked at that time, I coordinated with a nurse manager to walk some of us interns to go around and see the potential security hazards of the ED. It was fascinating to see the teamwork so efficiently to come up with a solution.


I have also been the lead on a project where we review the Executive Leadership Academy to see how past participants feel about the program and if it was beneficial. I created a Qualtrics survey (which was easier than I thought) and sent that out. I will be giving a presentation on the results to my preceptor, Dr. Theresa Brennan. I am also playing a role in the hospital's Discharge Initiative. By observing huddles and researching best practices, I hope to present huddle models to help reduce the LOS for patients. I have also participated in roundings and noon seminars with different ED, nursing, and volunteer services. I am happy that we can participate in them since they all have been very insightful. Looking forward, I plan to shadow Dr. Brennan in the clinic and the cardiovascular intensive care unit. 

Everyone has been kind and helpful at the office. You can tell that they care about our education and are invested in our growth. I am glad that I am sitting in a pod with my co-interns. We all try to eat lunch together, and it is nice going through this shared experience with them. The Bread Garden Café does happy hour from 3-5 pm in the hospital, and you get a free bakery item when you buy a coffee. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and their pumpkin bread is a weakness of mine. I also bought a little fake succulent to keep in my cubicle to make it feel a bit homier. 


During my free time, I hang out with my new baby nephew and try new restaurants. I went up to Cedar Rapids recently, and they have indoor go-karts that go 40 mph. I highly recommend it! Overall, I am excited to continue my internship and learn from all the fantastic people at UIHC!



*A Note From The Author*

If you would like to keep up with Emaan, you can find her here on LinkedIn!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group