Annie Schaefer (MHA '23): University of Iowa Physicians (UIP) - Community Clinics


Greetings from Iowa City!

This summer, I have been enjoying every second of my time with University of Iowa Physicians (UIP) under the direct mentorship of Rachel Kirchner and Conner Welch. Rachel is the Director of UI Community Clinics (UICC) and is responsible for leading UICC and Outreach strategies and initiatives. Conner is the Administrative Fellow for UIP – both Rachel and Conner are alumni of the Iowa MHA program!

Since beginning with UICC in May, I have had the incredible opportunity to jump right in on the action. I have been able to participate in a patient simulation as part of the UICC transition to team-based care (TBC). This involved presenting in clinic as a patient with a defined set of symptoms, completing a clinic visit with the care team, and reporting out on specified metrics post-visit. I also have been busy working on analyses and strategic recommendations as part of a business proposal for expansion of clinical services at one the UICC locations.

Along with my project work, I have been able to attend a variety of seminars hosted by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). These meetings range from crash-courses on Joint Commission to compelling Q&A sessions with UIHC nursing management. Additionally, I was able to assist in space reporting for UIHC Capital Management. This involved visiting twelve departments (on-campus and off-site) to evaluate space utilization and discuss any necessary reallocations of space. Lastly but most recently, I achieved my Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety through the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).

am a busy body, so naturally I am keeping myself equally as entertained outside of work. I have really enjoyed bowling this summer with some of my MHA pals – nothing like a friendly competition! Although, I am notorious for throwing gutter-balls. I also recently brought home the gold (a gold, 4th place ribbon) from the Linn County Fair Donkey Races – yes, I rode the donkey.

I just can’t believe how fast this summer is going – I suppose time flies when you’re having fun. It has truly been a multifaceted experience that is difficult to put into words, but I am fascinated by all that I have learned so far. I can’t wait to see what UICC has in store as I continue on with this rather remarkable team in the fall.


*A Note From The Editor*

If you would like to keep up with Annie, you can find her here on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group