Summer Internships: Iowa Hospital Association


By Darcelle Skeete

I am a legal intern at Iowa Hospital Association (‘IHA’) in Des Moines, Iowa. This is my second internship this summer ( I worked as a Law Clerk at the United States Attorney’s Office in Miami before).  The Iowa Hospital Association is an organization that represents Iowa hospitals and supports them in achieving their missions/goals through health advocacy and education as well as providing resourceful information.
 
As a legal intern I work with both of IHA’s General Counsels.  My responsibilities include reviewing and streamlining IHA Affiliate Group bylawsIHA's Affiliate Groups offer specialized learning and networking opportunities for a variety of Iowa healthcare professionals. There are twelve groups in total.  In addition, I am developing Sexual harassment and Employment discrimination training for IHA employees as well as updating and expanding IHA’s Guide to Public Hospitals. I attended an Iowa Nonprofit Collaborative committee meeting yesterday. I plan on attending a few more IHA-related meetings in the future.
 
I drive to Des Moines once a week for a total of five weeks to complete office hours; the rest of my work is done from home. After work I usually head home, but in the next few weeks I plan on visiting Jordan Creek Mall and a few restaurants in downtown and West Des Moines. On my first day I ate lunch with IHA’s CEO and one of the General Counsels at the Riverwalk café in the Des Moines Botanical Center.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group