Summer Internship: UnityPoint Clinic

By: Jeralyn Westercamp

Hello from the Quad Cities! You know it's summer in Iowa when RAGBRAI rolls across the state from its origin in Sioux City to its finish in Davenport. Much like the riders in RAGBRAI, I have encountered multiple cities and gazed at agricultural scenery in my commute to the Quad Cities. The Quad Cities includes the cities of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa along with Rock Island and Moline in Illinois. I have had the privilege to intern with the Quad Cities UnityPoint Clinic Administration in Moline, where I experience the best of both states daily.

I have been fortunate to receive exposure at the system, regional, and individual level through my internship with UnityPoint Clinic. UnityPoint Clinic is a part of UnityPoint Health, which is the 15th largest nonprofit health system in the U.S. with 8 regions, more than 280 physician clinics, and 29 hospitals throughout Iowa and Illinois. UnityPoint Clinic utilizes nearly 900 physicians and providers to provide primary and specialty patient-centered, coordinated care.  UnityPoint aims to deliver the “Best Outcome for Every Patient Every Time” for more than 4 million patient visits. The Quad Cities Region includes 18 primary care clinics and 12 specialty care clinics along with Express Care locations. The clinic side of healthcare is exciting and innovative with a growing emphasis in the future. Clinics help bridge the gap between hospital based services, wellness and prevention, and a patient’s everyday healthcare needs.

I am already in the 10th week of my internship and have had open access to all meetings and events at both a regional and system level. I was able to hit the ground running on my first day as I participated in the monthly clinic administrator meeting, with all clinic administrators in attendance, during my first hour of work. I work closely with my preceptor, Matt Behrens, Regional VP Clinic Operations, along with Tricia Fisher, Director Clinic Operations, Primary Care Services, and Alison Beardsley, Director Clinic Operations, Specialty Care Services.
 
My workweek typically includes special project meetings, meetings that I create and lead, and senior management group meetings. I always have a seat at the table and these meetings have proven to be invaluable in learning about strategy, leadership styles, and executive decision-making. I have had the opportunity to focus on a multitude of projects tackling issues including patient satisfaction, no show appointments, and service agreements, amongst others. My work has been diverse, as I have created reports, research pieces, spreadsheets, and presentations. Learning about patient centered medical homes and touring a newly built clinic before it opened to patients have been unexpected treats of a well-flavored internship. The seemingly small details in clinic exam rooms, such as the location of a provider’s chair and the shape of the desk, have significant impact on the patient experience.

It is hard to believe that it is nearly August, but I am thankful to have interned with the Quad Cities UnityPoint Clinic Administration. It has been both a rewarding and outstanding experience to work with the best and brightest dedicated leadership team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group