Summer Internship: Rural Policy Research Institute

Rural Policy Research Institute

By: Aaron Horsfield

Greetings from our nation’s capital! Amid the high humidity and copious sightseeing, I have had the privilege to intern with the Rural Policy Research Institute (RUPRI) as the National Policy Program Intern. RUPRI was founded in 1990 to address the concerns of members of the Senate Agricultural Committee regarding the lack of data, information, and analysis surrounding the impact of public policy on rural communities. The Institute focuses upon research, policy analysis and engagement, and dissemination and outreach in Health Policy, Poverty and Human Services, State Policy, and many other areas of work. 

This summer, Jocelyn Richgels, Director of RUPRI’s National Policy Programs, has served as my preceptor and mentor. She has been monumental in introducing me to the staffers on the Hill, has allowed me to attend Senate and House briefings not only related to rural, but to my own interests, and has welcomed me to a variety meetings with government and collaborative organization leaders. I’ve had the opportunity to work with leaders from many fields and meet individuals from all over the world. Outside of attending meetings and briefings, I have produced topic guides regarding Population Health and the Affordable Care Act and each respective topic’s impact on the rural community for the Rural Assistance Center, completed a literature review surrounding food assistance while currently working on literature reviews for income assistance, early childhood education and child care, child welfare, and child poverty and am in the early stages of assessing state models and policies for Family Resource Centers. Additionally, I have worked with Teresa Kittridge, RUPRI’s Vice President and COO, on developing content and editing language for the new website as well as coordinating a social media plan for the organization, and continued my work with Dr. Mueller surrounding individual state pursuits of Medicaid expansion.



While my internship has been proved to be educational in many more ways than I could have ever imagined, I would be remise to exclude the learning experience of moving halfway across the country:

·         Be flexible on moving around when committing to blind living situations remotely.

·         Try new food.

·         When you bring an umbrella, it never seems to rain – when you don’t, it rains.

·         There is a proper side to stand on on the escalator.

·         I tend to say sorry a lot when bumping into someone on the Metro – apparently, I’ve been told, it is a Midwest thing.

·         Don’t be afraid to do something on your own.  

·         20-30 minutes walking somewhere is a breeze – no need to rely on my phone to keep me preoccupied, this historic city has too much to offer.

·         Meeting new people is easy. DC is full of young and eager individuals wanting to meet others.

·         I’ve had to limit saying hi and waving to people I pass, but you can definitely pinpoint and talk to those from the Midwest.

·         DC rent is expensive

I am thankful to have had the guidance of not only Jocelyn, but other University of Iowa and Health Management and Policy Alumni. Anything is possible in DC. Many people with an MPH in Health Policy or MHA background have jobs in various facets of the government, political, and organizational fields.



From the networking happy hours to joining the Society of Health Policy Young Professionals and the iClub of DC to the walking monument tours, they say once you have lived in D.C. it is extremely hard to leave. I am going to have a hard time leaving Washington, but I have a feeling I’ll be back – someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group