Summer Internship: Great River Health Systems

By: Katie Gaudian
Burlington, Iowa has kept me very busy this summer. From exciting projects at my internship to adventurous weekend trips with family and friends, I haven’t slowed down since the start.
Great River Health Systems is a regional integrated health-care system that includes a 378-bed medical center, a 160-bed long-term and skilled care facility, a hospice house, a home health agency, retail pharmacies, retail medical equipment and supplies providers, and multiple specialty and primary care physician clinics.
I have had a chance to look into each of these areas as well as see how they all work together. Specific projects that I have worked on include researching and updating core privileges for physician credentialing, taking part in a cost containment team, standardizing the outside lab referral process, increasing provider efficiency in the EHR with data analysis, diving into market data, and many more. Not only have I been able to attend all the meetings my heart desires, but I have had personal contact with every member of the executive team.



One of my favorite experiences this summer has been seeing the process of improving customer service in the system. I was able to take a class that every employee is required to take to learn how we can be GREAT every time and make patients’ experiences the best that we can at our system. We were taught ways to reduce anxiety, to greet everyone that we see, and most importantly show how much we care to each individual patient. It was also a great way to get to know other employees in the system.
Outside of meetings and projects, I have spent my time on the golf links. As a GRHS team, we were able to participate in the IHA Swinging for Scholars golf event where we got the chance to play with honorary Hawkeye Chuck Long. Spending time with friends and family out on the Mississippi River and enjoying the outdoors has also been high on my list. I have learned so much so far, and I am looking forward to what I learn in these last couple weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group