Summer Internship: Grinnell Regional Medical Center

Grinnell Regional Medical Center
By: Taylor Buresh (MHA '18)

Hello from Grinnell! I was given the opportunity to spend my summer as an administrative intern at Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) and am joined here by fellow classmate, Kate Quigley (MHA '18). I have no idea how I am going to pack the past seven weeks into this blog, but I am going to give it my best shot, so here we go!


As you may have read about earlier this summer, Kate and I kicked off our internship with a fantastic trip to D.C. for the American Hospital Association (AHA)'s Annual Meeting. While I cherished my time in our Introduction to Health Organization and Policy course this past fall, I would not say that I left feeling "passionate" about the importance of health policy. Through the lens of this internship, however, my interest has been sparked. I now realize the absolutely integral role that policy plays in the fate of all hospitals, and particularly rural hospitals.

There has been no shortage of opportunities over our short time here at GRMC. We were also able to go to the Iowa Hospital Association (IHA)'s Summer Leadership Forum and we will be headed to San Diego at the end of the month for the AHA's Leadership Summit. During our first few weeks here, we were able to meet with every department within the hospital, allowing us to fill our plates with projects for the summer. We have been able to present to the board of trustees and medical staff, sit in on countless meetings that served as invaluable learning opportunities, lead market research projects, and so much more.

I cannot believe how quickly time is flying by here at GRMC. I have no doubt that the things I have learned this summer have set me up with a solid foundation of experiences to start my career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group