Summer Internship: University of Iowa Physicians

Nora Kopping (MHA '18), left, and Kim Ogden (MHA '18), right, scrubbing
in to observe a CABG procedure at UIHC.
By: Kim Ogden (MHA '18)

This summer I’ve had the opportunity to intern at University of Iowa Physicians (UIP), which is the state’s largest medical and surgical group practice. UIP provides care in every medical specialty at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC), which makes it an exciting place to work. I am joined by fellow classmates Mitch Billimack (MHA ’18) and Colin Carroll (MHA ’18), and we all have our hands full keeping up with the opportunities this organization has to offer.

UIP has a variety of exciting projects going on right now, and I have been lucky enough to help lead and support a few of them. My current projects revolve around managing external provider relationships, analyzing Advanced Practice Provider scheduling and billing, and standardizing the pre-authorization process. All of these projects have proven to be interesting and challenging, while forcing me to re-think the way healthcare “should” be delivered.

In addition to working on a variety of projects, UIP interns have the opportunity to round in different hospital departments with UIHC interns. These rounding experiences have given me immense appreciation for all of the dedication and detail that goes in to running an institution of this size. From Food and Nutrition, to Engineering Services, to Supply Chain management – every department plays a crucial role in making this hospital operate.

Outside of work, I’ve enjoyed playing in a sand volleyball league, volunteering in the Children’s Hospital’s NICU, and catching up with other interns who are in the area. I have always loved staying in Iowa City during the summer – there is so much to keep you busy!

Overall, working at UIP has opened my eyes to a new side of academic medicine to which I had very little exposure. It has been an incredible experience to learn from top administrators, in addition to leading projects that will truly have a positive effect on the way healthcare is delivered at UI Health Care. UIP has filled my plate with valuable experiences and lessons, and I am excited to bring them with me when I rejoin my classmates for our final year of graduate school. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group