Summer Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital


By: Marisa Polonsky (MHA '19)

Greetings from Boston!

I have been incredibly lucky to spend my summer as an administrative intern at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), which is currently ranked #4 in the US News and World Report Best Hospitals Honor Roll. It is nationally ranked in 16 adult and 3 pediatric specialties. Established in 1811, the MGH is the third oldest general hospital in the country and the site of many historic achievements. These include the first public demonstration of anesthesia (in 1846) and first medical social service (established in 1905). Along with Brigham and Women’s Hospital and several other institutions, the MGH is part of the Partners HealthCare system. 

This summer my project work has been focused in the Pathology Department under the guidance of my preceptor Jeannette Le, Director of Laboratory Medicine Operations. I have also received guidance from Bill Hynes, Executive Director, MGH Pathology Service. My projects have focused on billing workflows, prior authorization, space planning and process improvement. Everyone in Pathology has been incredible to work with and ensured that I’ve gotten every opportunity to observe, learn from and reflect on a wide range of experiences throughout the department this summer. 

Along with 12 other interns, who are placed in various other departments across MGH, I have also had the privilege of meeting with various hospital leaders, presenting to executive leadership and taking numerous tours. One of the highlights was a visit to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, also part of the Partners system, where we learned about the thoughtful design that helps make their space uber-accessible to those who are not able bodied. 

Outside of work, I’ve had a great time exploring the city of Boston - enjoying many decadent Italian dinners (and eclairs) in the North End, exploring the New England coast, attending Red Sox games, and much more!

Overall, my experience at the MGH has exceeded my expectations. I am in awe of the sheer brain power contained in this institution and the pride for MGH that all employees share. While I’m sad to see this summer come to a close, I’m excited to get back to Iowa City to catch up with everyone! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group