Summer Internship: University of Iowa Community Clinics


By: Ellie Keuter (MHA '19)

Hello from Iowa City! I am spending my summer with University of Iowa Community Clinics, which is part of University of Iowa Physicians. 

University of Iowa Community Clinics manages five UI QuickCare clinics and four family medicine clinics located in Iowa City and the surrounding area. UICC also oversees pediatric clinics in Cedar Rapids and North Liberty, dermatology offices in Cedar Rapids and Davenport, and obstetrics and gynecology services in Davenport. UICC also coordinates outreach clinics across the state of Iowa and beyond for several specialties, including pediatrics, internal medicine, ophthalmology, and behavioral health. 

I have had the unique opportunity to assist the offsite clinics with a transition from the separate entity UI Community Medical Services to UI Health Care. Over 180 employees made the transition on June 29th, and I got to learn a lot about the planning and coordination it took for team members to lead a successful transition. In addition to the transition project, I have collaborated with physicians and pharmacists to compare childhood vaccine schedules from different vendors, and I have also been able to take part in University of Iowa freshman orientation fairs, providing information about UI QuickCare to incoming students and their parents. 

On top of my UICC duties, I participated in intern rounding with my fellow interns, and we have been tackling the annual space survey. My favorite part of the internship has been the space survey – I love learning about the different inpatient spaces at UIHC and all the wonderful services provided here, especially in the new Stead Family Children’s Hospital and the innovative Heart and Vascular Center. Magnet is visiting next week, and I’m looking forward to learning more about this exciting process to recognize nursing excellence at UI Health Care. 

This is my eighth summer in Iowa City! With various arts and music festivals, fun restaurants to try, and ample parking, I have had a blast! My dad and I recently went fly fishing and I caught some rainbow trout, which was another fun summer highlight. 

The UICC internship has been a wonderful experience and I am certain the trend will continue for the rest of my summer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group