Summer Internships: Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Allina Health

This summer, I have the honor of serving Abbott Northwestern Hospital as an Administrative Intern. This opportunity is sure to prove both challenging and rewarding as I navigate through an extensive project, gain experiences both at work and in the community, and build further knowledge and skills through my assignments.

Abbott Northwestern Hospital houses a variety of medical services on a sprawling campus in downtown Minneapolis. The hospital has over 900 beds and is home to the Virginia Piper Cancer Institute, Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute and the Minneapolis Heart Institute, just to name a few. Recently, Abbott Northwestern also purchased the West Health outpatient clinic facility and is in the process of adding a free-standing emergency department to the existing structure. Right now is a busy time for this organization, and I am happy to be here at a time of change and growth.

Although I get to be involved in a variety of projects and have the opportunity to shadow in various departments within Allina Health, I have been designated with one specific project for the summer. My role is to work with the cardiovascular service and other stakeholders in the organization to determine a common vision for the 6th floor of the Heart Hospital, an area that currently is shell space. My final product will be a business proposal that will include floor plan design, staffing and operations plans, a cost estimate and a backfill plan for any units vacated by the new construction. Currently, the general idea is that this space should be used for critical care, so I will also be learning a lot about ICU space and the regulatory requirements that it entails. Although challenging, the project allows me to be in touch with a variety of people within the organization, from clinicians to architects to financial analysts, and will provide me with experience in operations, strategic and facilities planning, and finance.  Not to mention I will become an expert in Outlook calendar invites!

Although my internship is sure to keep me busy, I am also taking time to enjoy living in Minneapolis and everything the metro has to offer. In my free time I have been able to hike the state parks, cheer on the Twins, and check out some of the local dining favorites. Also, the Abbott Northwestern neighborhood is home to a diverse population, including many immigrants. To give back, I am teaching basic math and English as a Second language to these populations one night a week. Summer 2012 is sure to be a great one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group