Summer Internships: New Ulm Medical Center

By Tessa Quintero

Greetings from New Ulm! 


I am completing my summer internship at the New Ulm Medical Center in New Ulm, MN.  The Medical Center is a 25 bed critical access hospital with a 115 room hospital-based clinic attached and is a part of the Allina Health Network.  Allina is the largest medical provider in Minnesota with 12 hospitals and 100+ clinics in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  The New Ulm Medical Center provides care to a service area of 40,000 people in the south western portion of Minnesota.

I am working primarily with the President of the Medical Center in the administrative offices and taking on a variety of projects.  Some of my major projects include:
  • Developing a senior care model that integrates Long Term Care and Assisted Living facilities with the Medical Center and presenting to the Board of Trustees
  • Researching and reporting on regional market trends for Waterbirth and presenting to the medical staff
  • Writing a One Year Evaluation report to present to a contracted payer on the effectiveness of Emergency Room Coordination efforts
  • Creating a Physician Recruitment Guide for providers to reference when speaking with physician candidates
  • Attend System meetings in the Twin Cities

I’ve loved my experience and have learned what feels like 3 years of information! My preceptor is phenomenal and the New Ulm Medical Center is truly a mission driven organization.  

My roommate and I at Herman the German Monument
The town of New Ulm itself is also something special to mention.  It’s considered rural with a population of 15,000 people but it certainly has a lot to offer.  They are very proud of their German heritage and unique culture here and work very hard to preserve it.  New Ulm is home to the country’s second oldest brewery, Schell’s Brewery, which is located in a really pretty garden.  I took a tour with some friends and there were people from all over the country visiting.  There’s also a state park where I like to run trails and go swimming.  The town has a lot unique shops and restaurants and the people are super friendly.  Overall, it’s been a great summer with a lot of learning, travel, and fun.  I can’t wait to be back to see all of my classmates!

Flandru State Park

My mother at the town Glockenspeil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group