Summer Internship: University of Virginia Medical Center

By: Abbey Even

Time is flying by in Charlottesville, Virginia! I cannot believe I am almost halfway through my internship at the University of Virginia Medical Center. These past four weeks have been so valuable with the opportunity to attend leadership meetings and work with employees throughout UVMC on my assigned projects which include: creating a guideline document outlining clinic staff responsibilities in ambulatory care, preparing an ambulatory skills day model to be used in the future, and implementing a pilot to increase MyChart sign up that I will present to leadership during my last week. I have also enjoyed clinic observations and the Situation Room where leadership and physicians discuss mortalities, falls, and catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs) that occurred the previous day in an effort to find the root cause through real time problem solving all in an effort to ensure UVMC is the safest place to receive a care. My experiences thus far have been invaluable.


Outside of my internship, I have enjoyed sightseeing in the beautiful historic town of Charlottesville. A few of my favorites include Friday’s After Five listening to live music downtown, farmer’s market shopping on Saturday mornings, wine tasting at multiple vineyards, and exploring Charlottesville on a number of walking and hiking trails. I cannot leave Charlottesville without visiting the King Family Vineyard on a Sunday afternoon to enjoy a polo match while wine tasting.
My preceptor and colleagues at UVMC have been so welcoming and provided me with nothing but irreplaceable memories. Here’s to another six more great weeks! 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group