Summer Internship: Deloitte Consulting

By: Adam Price

Howdy Y’all!!  As I write this, I am currently flying from Dallas to Chicago after attending the Deloitte Summer Associate Conference in Texas.  As you could probably guess from the previous sentence, my summer internship is with Deloitte Consulting, in their Life Sciences Healthcare (LSHC) practice.  Deloitte Consulting as a whole has experienced considerable growth over the years, and currently has over 100 offices/locations around the globe with more than 44,000 practitioners providing client services.  Deloitte’s LSHC practice is the largest health care consulting practice in North America and offers a broad range of services across the provider, health plan, and life sciences market segments. 

This summer I am based out of the Chicago office, which is a major hub for health care provider and plan consulting projects, and working in the Strategy and Operations sector of the LSHC division.  Although I’m based out of the Chicago office, my client is a large Midwest health care provider which has me traveling Monday thru Thursday to the client site.  My project team consists of six individuals, ranging from Senior Manager to Business Analyst and each with a unique skillset.  We are currently developing workgroups for the client and leading them through a workshop to develop disease specific clinical programs that will span the entire enterprise with a goal of improving population health and reducing costs.   

Within the project, I have been able to make a meaningful impact on the work of the team and ultimately for the client.  My first project was creating a competitor template for each of the specific clinical programs, that encapsulated both qualitative data as well as data analysis such as their inpatients/outpatient volume and market share as well as which care families in each service line makes up a competitor’s total volume.  The second project I am currently working on is developing a financial model that encompasses both qualitative and quantitative data points to help the workgroups evaluate which business decision(s) will have the greatest impact for the client.  The project work has been very instrumental in improving my data analytics skills, PowerPoint skills, as well as introduced me to a new type of data analytic software Tableau. 

Aside from the project work, I have kept myself gaining a deeper appreciation for the culture at Deloitte as well as the different type of client work they perform.  I had the opportunity to partake in Deloitte’s national day of volunteering, IMPACT Day, where I worked with area youth on developing their resume and interviewing skills.  Additionally, Deloitte promotes multiple social activities, such as boat tours of the city and Chicago Cubs baseball games, for their practitioners which are a great way to meet new people and learn more about the organization.  Deloitte has a very open-door policy which has resulted me having numerous conversations with some of the most preeminent thought leaders in their respected fields.  Everyone I have talked to has been extremely candid and eager to help me out in any way they can, including fellow MHA alumni and current Principal Steve Birchard and Senior Consultant Nathan Patton. 

Lastly, although I’m traveling Monday thru Friday, I have been able to take full advantage of all Chicago has to offer.  The food and entertainment scene in Chicago is unreal.  Every restaurant I’ve encountered has been better than the last, and the numerous street fests ensure there is always something for me to do.  My favorite hotspot in Chicago so far has been the North Avenue beach along Lake Michigan, where I’ve been able to unwind after a week of work with a good book or a pick-up game of sand volleyball.

If you want to learn more about my summer internship experience, consulting, or Deloitte in general feel free to reach out to me at adam-price@uiowa.edu.  Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group