Summer Internship: Iowa Specialty Hospital



By: Brett Tschida
Greetings from Clarion, Iowa.  I am spending my summer interning at Iowa Specialty Hospital.  Iowa Specialty Hospital (ISH) is a pair of critical access hospitals and a handful of clinics in north central Iowa.  The hospitals are located in Clarion and Belmond, with clinics in Hampton and Clear Lake.  My preceptor is Steve Simonin CEO, who is an Iowa MHA/MBA alumnus.  I was apprehensive about interning at a small rural hospital, but have found it to be a blessing.  Iowa Specialty Hospital has shown me that independent rural hospitals can provide the highest quality of care.  ISH utilizes its pristine facilities; both locations have undergone major remodeling in the past decade, and highly regarded physicians to attract patients from a wide geographic area. 

 I have learned a great deal about strategic vision, culture and financial responsibility through observation of ISH senior leadership.  While observation has been a great learning tool, I have enjoyed the many projects I have been assigned. The size of the organization has allowed me to get hands on experience in various different disciplines.  My most prominent project is telemedicine.  I have been assigned the task of starting a telemedicine program at Iowa Specialty Hospital.  I am happy to report that ISH has partnered with the University of Iowa Hospitals on a telemedicine program.  It has been rewarding to take a project from an idea to a new service the hospital offers.  I have worked on various other projects including physician recruitment, establishing a new clinic, vetting ACO’s for membership, PQRS reporting, accreditation of a new service line, analysis of patient satisfaction reports and financial assessments.  


In addition to my administrative duties, I have taken on the role of ambulance driver.  This has been a wonderful experience.  I primarily do transfers, not 911 calls.  This opportunity has provided me with a unique perspective in the healthcare industry.  Moral of the story don’t be afraid to say yes, because it can lead to great personal growth.  
 
Outside of the internship I have enjoyed small town living.  Clarion’s population is around 2,400.  It has been nice to slow down the frantic lifestyle that is being a graduate student.  Despite being based in Clarion, I have traveled to Des Moines nearly every week for one reason or another.  There certainly is an adjustment to be made when live in a rural environment, but I have found it to be very pleasant. 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group