Summer Internship: Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP)

By: Hillary Witte

Iowa City in the summertime is like a secret utopia to me. Everything is green and lush, and the sound of whirring mopeds and chatter among students has vanished. It is just…quieter, but in a relaxing way. I am not suggesting that there is little to do in the summer, because the local families and townies, who usually try to avoid the students at all costs, come out of hibernation and reclaim the town. There are endless music venues, art festivals, jazz festivals, and my favorite, concession stands with local fried goodies.

I am not living in Iowa City this summer solely for the beauty of the area, however; I am interning at the Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP), through the Carver College of Medicine. OSCEP is a small office, but has a large scope of responsibilities. We interact with physician recruiters, administrators, CEO’s, and primary and specialty physicians across the state of Iowa. My primary project as an intern is to contact these professionals to gain knowledge about job opportunities across the state, then create an Opportunities Directory listing these openings. This directory is then distributed to eight residency programs across Iowa. By assisting young physicians to find job positions in Iowa, we are improving community access to care, as well as boosting Iowa’s economy.

Other projects include organizing the quarterly Residents Council meetings, utilizing software such as Microsoft Excel, Access, and Publisher, and reviewing physician contracts. I am gaining unique knowledge in physician recruitment, retention, and turnover, as well as establishing professional connections. Outside of my internship, when I am not visiting the consessions, I enjoy reading, laying on the beach at the Coralville Reserviour, and spending time with my family. Best wishes from IC! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group