Summer Internship: University of Colorado Hospital's Cardiac and Vascular Center

By: Bryson Kruthoff

Colleagues, classmates, friends and random readers:

I hope this blog post finds you well and that your investment portfolios make a swift recovery after the tumult following the Brexit vote. I am writing to you all from the base of the Rocky Mountains in Denver, Colorado, where I am completing my internship in the Cardiac and Vascular Center at the University of Colorado Hospital.

Having reached the halfway point of my internship, the project work is reaching maximum capacity as I try to cram as many learning opportunities as I can into this short summer. My primary focus with the Cardiac and Vascular Center is the implementation of a patient tracking tool to improve efficiency within the clinic. Beyond tracking patients, the CVC leadership wants to experiment with tracking physicians and staff members within the clinic. You all can imagine the excitement and receptiveness from physicians when they were told they would be tracked by an electronic device.

Since my previous internship also included work within a cardiology service line, it was a goal of mine to diversify my experience and pick up projects in different departments within the hospital, and within the UCHealth system. From that, I have begun working on two projects with the population health team related to strategy and practice transformation. Lastly, I have gotten exposure to Epic order set improvements, a NICU construction project, and physician accreditation.

Alas, the purpose of an internship is not solely to drive oneself crazy on project work and cardiac cath lab shadowing. Indeed, to round out my experience I have spent a great deal of time exploring the city of Denver and its endless food and beverage offerings. The myriad rooftops, breweries, and other establishments prevent boredom within the city limits, and when the heart desires, the numerous hiking trails and ever-present mountains provide a peaceful escape from the metropolitan lifestyle.

I cannot say enough great things about my experience thus far, and when we reach the conclusion of the summer, I will certainly be sad to have to bid this great city adieu.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Bryson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group