Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

By: Ellie Dusheck

Hello from Iowa City! I am interning at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) in hospital operations for the summer. I am working under Scott Turner, Co-Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director of the UI Children’s Hospital, on several projects, including the transition into the new children’s hospital. UIHC is Iowa’s only comprehensive academic medical center, with 732 inpatient beds, and has been recognized for the second year in a row as America’s #1 Health Care Employer.

In my two weeks at UIHC, I have been able to observe and participate in many meetings concerning the transition into the new children’s hospital (opening December 10—get excited!), assist with a presentation for the 2016 Speak Now for Kids Family Advocacy Day, and contribute to the annual space survey of every room in the hospital. My preceptor has allowed me to view the transition into the children’s hospital from both a capital management perspective and a work flow and employee training viewpoint. My biggest role for the summer will be working on the Transition and Activation Planning (TAP) group, specifically with building-wide and department-specific orientation and training.

In my free time, I’ve spent as much time as possible outside, attended an ACHE networking event, and eaten an excessive number of hotdogs at bonfires. I’m enjoying summer, but I am very excited for my classmates to come back to Iowa City!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group