Summer Internship: Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs


By: Madeline Sherman (MHA '18)
Hello everyone! This summer I have the pleasure of interning at the Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP) in Iowa City. OSCEP is located in the Carver College of Medicine and is responsible for providing consultative services to physicians interested in Iowa medical practice opportunities and providing physician recruitment, general medical practice support and technical assistance services to physicians, hospitals and community groups. Since it is only the beginning of the summer, I have not completed any projects thus far, but I have a lot on my plate.

My co-intern and I are currently working on creating the Opportunities Directory for the state of Iowa. Each year, the Carver College of Medicine creates a statewide opportunities directory for the joint benefit of healthcare providers and physician residents currently in training and interested in practicing in Iowa. The directory is the result of a statewide survey of healthcare organizations and providers in Iowa and lists opportunities available across the state for residents interested in working in Iowa. OSCEP is therefore a “match-making” service for physicians and healthcare organizations.

Apart from this large project, I have been able to sit in on physician contract reviews. In this process, I learned about what a physician contract entail and heard suggestions on negotiation points that the physician could leverage in negotiating their contract. I also had the benefit of attending a seminar on the retention and recruitment problem of physicians in the state of Iowa. Many CEOs and physician recruiters in the state brought up ideas for solutions to the current issue.
I absolutely adore the team that I am working with and look forward to many more projects in the future. My boss, Lynette Lancial, is a big help in providing all of the necessary tools to be able to succeed in this internship this summer and in my future career. I am learning so much and can’t wait to see everyone in the fall.

Outside of work I am enjoying Iowa City to the fullest. The downtown in the summer is so laid back and has so many activities, including the Arts fest, the farmers markets, and the lively music. I love relaxing on the lake and soaking up all of the sun I can handle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group