Summer Internship: Lurie Children's


By: Claire Fleming (MHA '18)

Hello from the Windy City! My time in Chicago has been one for the books. I am finishing up the first month of my three-month journey here at Ann & Robert H. Lee Children’s Hospital of Chicago, also known as Lurie Children’s. The hospital is ranked by US News & World Report as the top children’s hospital in Illinois and 6th in the country. Lurie Children’s is a 288 bed pediatric hospital and the largest specialty provider in the region. This week marks the five-year anniversary of Lurie’s move from their Lincoln Park location to their new hospital in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is an exciting time here, as they are undergoing a major multi-phase expansion to add 48 beds, with Phase 2 beginning this month.

The energy at Lurie’s is one of passion and eagerness. The executives’ commitment to policy and advocacy for children during a time of such uncertainty surrounding Medicaid has been astounding. As the picture leading to the main board room exhibits (see left), the fight for children is never forgotten.
I have been fortunate to work with these executives and have had a large variety of projects thus far. A major focus of mine has been on the building and implementation of a cardiac rehab program for patients pre- and post-transplant. This project has been a great learning opportunity for me, as I am involved in the strategic planning, operations, risk management, and intensive communication that the project requires. Another of my favorite projects is the expansion of Lurie Children’s ED telemedicine program to 23 rural community and critical access hospitals throughout Illinois. A meaningful and delicate project I have enjoyed working on is the Edinburgh Screening Tool Evaluation, which measures post-partum depression. It is a complex project that commands proper management, as lines become muddy between the documentation and obligation to assure parents have necessary support, while remaining a pediatric hospital.

I have received fantastic mentorship on all of my projects and had the opportunity to meet with many executives throughout the organization. My time here has been a blast and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next two months!

Outside of work, Chicago has been just as fabulous. Surprise to no one, the food has been amazing. I have to say one of my favorites so far has been eating at Duck Duck Goat with our very own Kate Quigley (MHA ’18) and one of her parents, Pat (unfortunately the other parent, Patty, was absent). My workouts look a little different now, as nothing can beat runs on Lake Shore Drive. The Farmer’s Markets tend to have outstanding views, too (see right).

The best part of my time so far is a toss-up between watching the Cubs sweep the Cardinals at Wrigley and the hundreds of eligible puppies to pet in the city. Either way, I am feeling very lucky!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group