Summer Internship: Atrium Health and Advocate Aurora Health


By: Bobby Skogsbergh (MHA '19) 

This summer I have had the privilege of interning for two different healthcare systems. My internship has consisted of splitting time between Atrium Health in North Carolina and Advocate Aurora Health in Illinois and Wisconsin. 

Atrium Health is a comprehensive not-for-profit healthcare system based out of Charlotte, North Carolina that spans across South Carolina and Georgia as well. This healthcare system employs over 65,000 individuals and has roughly 32,000 patient encounters each day. My time spent in Charlotte was under the guidance of Atrium Health CEO Mr. Gene Woods, and the experience included exposure to every facet of their system. I split time between their 874 bed flagship hospital, Carolinas Medical Center, as well as the support center where Mr. Woods and his team of executives oversee the system-wide enterprise. A significant portion of my experience involved strategy, growth, and access within the core market of Atrium Health. This work included a detailed analysis of the competitive landscape within the Southeast Region, as well as identifying the specific care needs of patient populations in the surrounding Charlotte area.

The second half of my summer has been with Advocate Aurora Health (AAH) under the guidance of the Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Bill Santulli. On April 1st, Advocate Health Care in the Chicago land area and Aurora Health in Wisconsin took part in a full asset merger. This new system includes 27 hospitals, 500 outpatient locations, and 70,000 employees. During my time at AAH, I have  received a heavy dose of operations exposure with an emphasis on capital allocation, budget forecasting, and position management. The last five weeks I worked with Innosight Consulting Group to form an internal innovation team that will explore transformational growth and what the future state of AAH could potentially be. I am also currently building the Operations Market Report that the COO pushes out to management and frontline staff updating them on the current state of the system post-merger. 

It wasn’t all work though. I spent my free time in the Charlotte outdoors, hiking and exploring the Lake Norman area. I may or may not have consumed lots of BBQ as well! In Chicago, I was able to get to Wrigley a few times and cheer on the Cubs. And yes, I had deep dish pizza, but do not listen to  fellow classmate, Jon, when he recommends Gino’s East! Lou Malnati's is the place to go. 

After this summer, the phrase “small world” certainly resonates very well with me. I met numerous Iowa MHA graduates, and it is apparent that our alumni presence is as strong as ever. See you soon Iowa City!

Go Hawks! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group