Summer Internship: University of Iowa Physician's group


By: Mathew Jerome (MHA '19) 

I have had the opportunity to spend my summer interning with the University of Iowa Physician’s group, or UIP. UIP is Iowa’s largest multi-specialty medical and surgical group, with over 1,000 physicians working in 19 different departments. The physician’s group falls under the UI Health Care umbrella, where medicine, research, and education intersect as part of the larger academic medical center. 

Working for an organization like UIP has allowed me to be involved in a wide variety of projects and experiences. UIP recently took over the intake and implementation of all telemedicine initiatives within UIHC, and I have been able to work on the team that facilitates these new telemedicine projects. Working directly with doctors, administrators, clinicians, project managers, HCIS, and finance has given me a broad and valuable foundation on which to build my career as I move forward. Another great experience has been leading my own piece of an external financing option for patients. My role as the lead project manager has allowed me to grow as a leader by pushing me outside of my comfort zone and jumpstarting my management skills. I have also been able to sit in on some executive meetings and learn how to navigate tricky situations involving tough financial and administrative decisions. Another perk of working in academic medicine has been the ability to be involved in the research component. I helped my preceptor and director of UIP, Beth Jaggers, write up a presentation proposal for a conference in Washington D.C. next year. Another super cool experience was shadowing in the OR, where I got to observe a surgery and interact with the physicians and nurses in the room to gain an entirely different perspective.

Iowa City in the summer is a great place to be. With a wide assortment of restaurants and activities, I’ve had plenty of time to enjoy myself outside of work. I have also been honing my golf game for the alumni golf outing in the fall. I might even break 100 this time. I’ve even had time to travel this summer: a family vacation to Colorado, trips to Chicago, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, and back home to West Des Moines as well. Overall, it has been an awesome summer and I have learned so much. I  am looking forward to seeing everyone soon for the start of year two in the MHA program!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group