Summer Internship: Kameda Medical Center and Nihon Keiei Consulting Group


By: Cameron Steeples (MHA '19) 

Nothing makes one appreciate the marvels of the modern world like air travel. In 1853, U.S. Naval Commodore, Matthew Perry, sent a legion of "Black Ships" to open a Japanese society that had been closed to the world for more than 200 years. His voyage took nine excruciating months and featured unpleasant distractions like malaria and yellow fever. By contrast, my trip took 16 hours and was marred by the comparitively mild indignity of a layover in Denver. In these dark days of anti-vaxxers and alternative facts, going airborne in a 300-ton contraption helps reaffirm one's belief in the primacy of the scientific method.
During my three month internship in Japan, this respect for scientific progress and continuous improvement were readily apparent at both Kameda Medical Center (KMC) and Nihon Keiei Consulting Group (NKGR). From the cutting edge collaboration in the KMC Digital Pathology department, to the data analytics insights eminating from Nihon Keiei's Libra team, my summer was filled with examples of healthcare professionals harnessing technology to deliver better care. Under the tutelage of John Wocher and Yuki Furya, I was able to contribute to some of these projects – most notably an analysis of the Thai healthcare market in anticipation of a proposed Bangkok nursing home expansion. Projects like these combine my passion for international business with my interest in improving public health, and as such I'm honored to have been trusted with them.

It's important to note that these contributions were made almost entirely in English, as my two month crash course in Japanese proved insufficient to prepare me for anything more than light conversation. At least to my Western ears the Japanese language is incredibly complex – the iron-clad rule that the verb must always come at the end of the sentence was a particularly difficult hurdle for my brain to clear. One of the Japanese terms that did stick, however, was omotenashi (roughly translated as "hospitality"). The incredible kindness and generosity shown to me by KMC and NKGR staff was overwhelming, from delicious meals to exciting homestays. Their willingness to accommodate me and answer all my questions (healthcare or otherwise) provided me with a deep appreciation for Japan's unique approach to patient care and their rich culture. For that I am eternally in their debt. 

While work was intriguing, I had an incredible time outside of the office as well. As a child of the Anthony Bourdain generation (R.I.P.), I always go out of my way to enjoy food and drink that represents each nation's unique culinary tradition. And subjectively speaking, Japanese cuisine is the finest on earth. Although a bit fish heavy (one in ten fish consumed on earth each year is consumed in Japan), the delicate flavors and focus on quality made it a delicious three months. When I wasn't eating, I enjoyed attending baseball and sumo, proposing to my girlfriend (I love you Prerna!) and practicing my Japanese with locals over numerous beers at various izakayas. It was an amazing three months, and I look forward to bringing my newly acquired knowledge back to the United States for the coming academic year. ありがとうございました!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group