Summer Internship: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics


By: Benjamin Mohr (MHA '19) 

Greetings! 

This summer I had the opportunity to do my summer internship at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). UIHC is a large, nationally ranked academic medical center that serves patients in the state of Iowa and beyond. UIHC employs more than 13,000 people, has 811 beds, and admits more than 36,000 patients annually for in-patient hospital care. UIHC is nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report in Gynecology, Pulmonology, Urology, Cancer, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, and Otolaryngology. UIHC is also a Magnet Recognized organization for nursing, and I was able to be a part of the site visit this summer. 

During my internship, I had the pleasure of working with Sabi Singh, the Chief Operating Officer at UIHC, who served as my preceptor. About 60-70% of my project work this summer was in perioperative services, where I worked directly with many clinical and non-clinical leaders. One of my larger projects involved collaborating as a member of the core project team with the goal of standardizing all of our institution's surgical procedures, and all of the associated surgical preference cards to reduce clinical variation, optimize efficiency, and improve case length accuracy. I also analyzed financial related case cancellations and led a multidisciplinary team to improve processes to reduce these cancellations. Outside of perioperative services I built a utilization report for the heart and vascular center, and performed a space survey along with my co-interns. 

Iowa City is a great place to spend the summer. Outside of work I was able to spend some quality time with my many friends from the program who stayed in Iowa City for their internships over the summer. I notched 10 rounds of golf between Brown Deer, Pleasant Valley, and Finkbine. A particular highlight of the summer was a visit from my family. Together we experienced the Cedar Ridge winery and the Amana Colonies. In addition, my wife and I spent many Saturdays at the Iowa City farmer’s market, which is highly recommended.

I am excited to begin my second and final year of graduate school and meet the incoming first year students. 

Go Hawks!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group