Summer Internship: MercyOne Clinton Medical Center - Eastern Iowa Region

By: Zachary Witt (MHA '21)

Hello from the Mississippi River!

 

This summer I had the opportunity to intern at MercyOne Clinton Medical Center with Amy Berentes, Executive VP/COO/CNO. Clinton Medical Center is a faith-based, full-service community health hospital with 163 licensed beds (census of approximately 30) serving multiple rural communities alongside the Mississippi River in both Eastern Iowa and Northwestern Illinois. The organizational structure is unique as there is a sole Eastern Iowa Regional Leadership Team that manages Dubuque Medical Center, Clinton Medical Center, Clinton North Health Plaza Clinic, and three Critical Access Hospitals located in Dyersville, Guttenberg and Elkader, Iowa.

 

As the lone Eastern Iowa Region intern I had the privilege of observing all leaders at all facilities during my eight weeks. I served as a member of the Eastern Iowa Regional Leadership Team as I participated in every single meeting my preceptor attended – from any small touch base 1:1 meeting to larger system level meetings. There were many opportunities to actively listen, observe and participate in each meeting. In addition, I spent time with all regional leaders and directors, as well as patient rounding with multiple physicians and nurses. I was also able to observe multiple procedures such as a total right knee surgery, colonoscopy, cath lab, imaging and sutures in the emergency room.

 

I was assigned project lead for two significantly large projects that I worked on in between meetings, evenings and on weekends. My first project was a cardiology impact budget analysis with a complete marketing analysis and financial analysis to support my recommendation to hire an additional Interventional Cardiologist – this plan was presented to and approved by the system level executives. The second project consisted of a rapid improvement program on the establishment of new patients. I spent countless hours tracking data, process mapping each practices’ establishment of new patients process and coordinated meetings with new providers to implement this standardization pilot program between the medical center and clinic.

                                              

I spent this summer with my relatives, Rod and Deb Tokheim after my first internship was cancelled due to the coronavirus. I was able to secure this exceptional internship, thanks to the help of Rod, recently retired healthcare executive of MercyOne Clinton Medical Center and alumni of the Iowa MHA program. During my time with the Tokheim’s, I have been able to experience Eastern Iowa’s natural beauty; from multiple bike rides along the river to many evenings sitting out on their deck trying many new delicious foods and wines. Overall, I had an amazing summer and best of all, it was as if my internship never ended when I got home from work, as Rod always asked about my day causing many great conversations and discussions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devante Davis (MHA '24): UCHealth - Southern Region

Alexa Colella (MHA '24): revology

Adriana Kotchkoski (MHA '24): Nihon Keiei Consulting Group